As a college student, are you struggling with school, feel overwhelmed with classes, are generally stressed out, have roomate or relationship issues and are wondering how you are going to make it all work while getting good grades? Do you sometimes pressure yourself to be "perfect" in all areas?
- Then you have come to the right place! Not only am I experienced and love working with college students/ young adults, I have worked through and conquered many blocks myself as a Cal Poly Alumni who graduated with honors. I also taught at Cal Poly, so I know what its like being a student (all those pressures to succeed!) and an instructor (where I can use my knowledge and experience to help you achieve the good grades you are striving for...) I can help you feel less overwhelmed, less stressed, achieve more balance and work through any issues you are having with roomates, boyfriends/girlfriends and to work through this label of "perfection" we often place on ourselves in today's society.
- As a parent, you want help immediately for your child so they can succeed without emotional issues getting in their way, but may have found that the counseling center at Cal Poly was either too full and had a waiting list, or your son/daughter only got a few sessions when they need more. Perhaps your son or daughter is having panic attacks or is severely depressed. I can get your child in immediately (usually within a day or two of initial call).
Are you failing a class because you are depressed or overly anxious? Do you put too much on your plate and want to succeed in every area but feel bad about yourself if you are struggling and you know you are capable to do better?
- Sometimes depressive thoughts can make you less motivated, unable to focus in your classes or do your homework, you feel wiped out or tired all the time, you overeat or undereat, you have problems getting to sleep because your mind is so "active" and won't turn off at night..I can help you discover the root of your depression (usually negative thoughts and low self-esteem) and help you transform negative thinking into positive thinking that will help you feel better and do better in school.
- I can also work with Cal Poly Student Disability Services to help you get special accommodations such as extra time on tests, notetakers, or an extension on tests or projects due to anxiety or depression (if you meet the DSM-IV criteria it is actually considered a disability which qualifies you to get these special accommodations).
- If you are anxious or having panic attacks, I can teach you some solid coping skills to help combat your anxiety so it doesn't take a hold over you and interfere in your life. I will also make the appropriate referrals to local physicians for an evaluation if you are open to it (for possible medicine). However, since I am more of a "holistic" therapist, I emphasize supplements, diet change, good sleep habits, less alcohol, and coping skills before I even think of a referral for medicine. For suicidal clients though, we will work together to figure out the best plan for you to immediately get the help you need.
Do you have body image issues and secretly over-excersise to work off those extra calories you just consumed last night? Are you unhappy with your body and constantly compare yourself to others? Do you feel bad about this cycle of over-eating then purging or over-excercising?
- For some reason, I see many Cal Poly girls who struggle with this issue of "comparing" themselves to others. I hear there is major pressure to look good, pretty, thin, in shape, and essentially "perfect." Some Cal Poly students think this pressure to look good is worse at Cal Poly than other campuses.
- No one is perfect and this can be an ideal or concept we place in our minds and then becomes an inner beast you struggle with as you are always thinking you "should be" prettier, thinner, more in-shape, not eat as much, etc. This unrealistic ideal becomes your biggest enemy and that sabotaging voice in your head that may drive you to eating unhealthy, binging and purging, or starving yourself. I can help you to attack this inner saboteur and get relief from the shame and anxiety this vicious cycle causes. Isn't it time you let this part of yourself go, so you can feel happier? Just talking to a professional and someone who understands, is so relieving....you no longer have to carry this huge secret around.
Are you currently going through a break-up or just had one? Are you heart-broken and now your grief has gotten in the way of your school work? Having a difficult time attracting people that ultimately hurt you and are wrong for you?
- If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, then you are in the right place! Together we will work to overcome your obstacles that keep you from allowing your grief and pain to get in the way of your school work. Some people or therapists minimize the pain you can feel during a break-up because you are young. But the pain is real, raw, and can interfere with all life areas! Don't let it! I will help you heal. I will help you attract better partners that will treat you well. But first you must learn how to feel good about yourself!
Think of me as your personal trainer/ partner to help you work through emotional blocks, and get a handle on your anxiety or depression and make it disappear for good. I will help you transform negative thinking into positive thoughts which will ultimately help you feel happier, less stressed, do better in school and attract healthy people!
The first step is to make an appointment to meet me and then we will make an action plan that very first session. I am a result-oriented therapist and coach. I am solution-focused so we will get results fast!
Read the article by "USA Today" which talks about why college campuses have a shortage of counselors. Discover why the need is high in the community for qualified, competent counselors to treat mental health issues of college students.